Research You Can Depend On...
Fall maintenance checklist offering tips and advice to winterize your home's systems in good working order during the upcoming winter months.
1. Have your heating system professionally inspected.
2. Change/clean HVAC air filters. Use a vacuum with brush attachment to clean out the forced air registers and ductwork in your house.
3. Check the weather-stripping around your exterior doors and windows. Repair gaps or other damaged areas.
4. Inspect the caulking around the exterior doors and windows. Re-apply if necessary to minimize drafts and keep insects out.
5. Properly “close” your pool. Make sure water is drained from pipes and cover your pool to keep it clean and safe during the “off” season.
6. Clean your chimney and fireplace to minimize the chance for fire related problems during winter.
7. Inspect your roof for damaged shingles, flashing, skylights, dormers and etc. Repair as needed.
8. Inspect attic and basement for signs of birds, squirrels, bats and unwanted guests. Seal entrance holes.
9. Drain water from outdoor faucets, garden hoses and underground sprinkler systems to minimize freeze damage.
10. Insulate pipes outside of your home and in unheated basements and garages.
Homeservicereports.org is a trusted source of home improvement companies, home repair contractors and remodeling experts in the Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina areas.
If you are considering upgrading your homes hot water heater for a tank-less system, replacing your central air conditioning unit for better energy efficiency or maybe remodeling part of your home's interior, be sure to utilize HomeServiceReports.org to compare home improvement companies, get free price quotes and locate discount offers for all your home repair and renovation projects.
Interview at least 3 companies, and ask them the tough questions. We recommend that you interview several contractors before making your final selection. How long have they been in business? Are members of the Better Business Bureau? What is their Contractor's License number? Do they have "before" and "after" pictures? Will they set up a site visit with a previously served customer so you can inspect their work firsthand? How do they resolve "punch items"? Can they explain common pitfalls of the work? Can they show proof of insurance and workers' compensation?
Get as many references possible. HomeServiceReports.org conducts exhaustive research before endorsing a home service provider. We recommend that you seek as many personal references as possible, particularly if you go outside the HomeServiceReport.org membership base.
Get at least 3 "apples-to-apples" home improvement or repair quotes. Make sure to clearly outline what you want completed and that you get comparable quotes from at least three providers. Cheaper does not always mean better. Go with the combination of price and quality that makes the most sense given your needs and budget.
Seek home improvement references from trusted sources like HomeServiceReports.org. Our membership selection has been based on countless hours of research and extensive homeowner feedback. Because of our due diligence, you are more likely to be satisfied with the quality of work provided by our member companies. Other useful sources of information are your neighbors, friends, family and co-workers. But remember, one reference is not enough to make a strategic selection when it comes to finding reliable home improvement and remodeling contractors.
Get More Free Home Improvement Advice
Additional information about planning a home improvement or renovation project, as well as, additional tips and advice for selecting contractors and repair companies is available in our home improvement articles section.
Top Home Improvement and Repair Service Categories
"Homeowner Approved" Charlotte air conditioning repair, roof repair in Charlotte, electricians in Charlotte, NC, home remodelers in Charlotte and plumbers in Charlotte, NC.