Research You Can Depend On...
Below is a home maintenance check list offering spring cleaning tips and advice to get your home's systems in good working order for the upcoming warmer months.
1. Have your air conditioning system professionally serviced.
2. Change/clean HVAC air filters.
3. Clear debris from around the outside air conditioner and remove the cover if applicable.
4. Inspect windows and doors to make sure they function properly. Replace if necessary.
5. Check putty around window panes and weather stripping around windows and doors. Fix as needed.
6. Check window and door screens and replace or repair as needed.
7. Check locks, latches, and hinges on your doors and windows. Replace or repair as needed.
8. Trim back trees and shrubs as needed to eliminate over hanging branches and improve curb appeal.
9. “Open” your pool for the swimming season. Make sure your pump and filtration systems work effectively and that your chemicals are balanced.
10. Pressure wash your home’s exterior and apply touch up paint as required to address paint failure.
11. Remove leaves, small branches and debris from gutters, downspouts and down-spout extensions so that water properly drains away from your home.
12. Look for sagging or otherwise damaged gutter components and repair if necessary.
13. Inspect your basement or crawl space for dampness.
14. Turn on water to outdoor faucets. Turn on irrigation system, check sprinkler heads and make needed repairs.
15. Clean the screens on roof vents and louvers.
16. Examine caulking around sink, tubs and showers. Reapply if necessary.
17. Remove early signs of bird and stinging insect nests from eaves, ledges, etc.
18. Check foundation walls and wooden areas at or near ground level for signs of termites and other wood boring insects.
Homeservicereports.org is a trusted source of home improvement companies, home repair contractors and remodeling experts in the Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina areas.
If you are considering upgrading your homes hot water heater for a tank-less system, replacing your central air conditioning unit for better energy efficiency or maybe remodeling part of your home's interior, be sure to utilize HomeServiceReports.org to compare home improvement companies, get free price quotes and locate discount offers for all your home repair and renovation projects.
Interview at least 3 companies, and ask them the tough questions. We recommend that you interview several contractors before making your final selection. How long have they been in business? Are members of the Better Business Bureau? What is their Contractor's License number? Do they have "before" and "after" pictures? Will they set up a site visit with a previously served customer so you can inspect their work firsthand? How do they resolve "punch items"? Can they explain common pitfalls of the work? Can they show proof of insurance and workers' compensation?
Get as many references possible. HomeServiceReports.org conducts exhaustive research before endorsing a home service provider. We recommend that you seek as many personal references as possible, particularly if you go outside the HomeServiceReport.org membership base.
Get at least 3 "apples-to-apples" home improvement or repair quotes. Make sure to clearly outline what you want completed and that you get comparable quotes from at least three providers. Cheaper does not always mean better. Go with the combination of price and quality that makes the most sense given your needs and budget.
Seek home improvement references from trusted sources like HomeServiceReports.org. Our membership selection has been based on countless hours of research and extensive homeowner feedback. Because of our due diligence, you are more likely to be satisfied with the quality of work provided by our member companies. Other useful sources of information are your neighbors, friends, family and co-workers. But remember, one reference is not enough to make a strategic selection when it comes to finding reliable home improvement and remodeling contractors.
Get More Free Home Improvement Advice
Additional information about planning a home improvement or renovation project, as well as, additional tips and advice for selecting contractors and repair companies is available in our home improvement articles section.
Top Home Improvement and Repair Service Categories
"Homeowner Approved" Charlotte air conditioning repair, roof repair in Charlotte, electricians in Charlotte, NC, home remodelers in Charlotte and plumbers in Charlotte, NC.